Is crime a problem in Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is a very peaceful country populated by friendly people and blessed with a very low crime rate.
By exercising common sense you will have a worry-free time during your stay here. Here are a few tips to stay on the safe side:
- Keep your valuables (including your passport) locked in the safety box in your hotel
- Don’t carry a lot of cash with you and avoid counting your money in public
- Don’t walk alone at night, whether in the city or on the beach, and especially not down lonely alleys
- Don’t get drunk with strangers
- Change your money only in banks, not with money changers on the street
- Don’t trust strangers with your belongings
- When hanging out at the beach, always keep an eye on your belongings
- Always lock your car
- Don’t leave your valuables in your car
- When in large cities like Alajuela, Limón, Puntarenas and San José, park your car in paid parking lots and not on the street